Thursday, May 15, 2008

light and love

Ever since my junior year of high school i have been swept up in transcendental writers such as Emerson and Thoreau. Their words are so beautiful and they speak so much truth even though they were living at a time when the gospel wasn't on the earth. Right now I am reading "Nature" by Ralph Waldo Emerson. One thing I have been taught since my seminary days is that all light is Christ, and that's not just figuratively but literal. Last night as I was reading Emerson I came across these words which really stuck out to me, "There is not object so foul that intense light will not make beautiful." wow. That is so beautiful and rings true on so many levels: trials, service, missionary work...etc. A lot of times we doubt too much. We doubt others, we doubt ourselves, we doubt the lord--when in reality there is nothing so messy it can't be cleaned up with the lord's help. Also on the subject of light=Christ: it has been rainy and cloudy the past couple days and this shortage of sunshine has made everyone become a little more lethargic and a little bit more cranky. That's exactly how it is when we have a shortage of the savior. We aren't as happy and we aren't as motivated. It is so important to remember Christ and keep Him in our lives. He is always there for us we just need to do our part to feel His light and His love.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

thank you!!! exactly what I need to hear right now, you're writing always amazes me.